Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Difficulty of Decorating

By Rachel LeGros

The holiday season can be a very stressful time for parents throughout the country, and many children are oblivious of the time and effort that parents put in to make the holidays enjoyable for their children and family.

I remember helping my dad labor over the tree. The set-up alone would take at least two hours, from getting the giant box out of the attic to separating each branch one by one. That’s when my dad stepped out and my mother stepped in. First, the lights go on. Then we moved onto the garland and the ornaments. Last came the angel on top of the tree.

Now, only living with my father, we have a four-foot tree, and that’s about the only decoration we have in our house. My mother’s house on the other hand, is covered in small ceramic Santas and little set-ups of cartoon Christmas movies, from "Charlie Brown" to “Santa Claus Is Comin’ to Town.”

Living with a non-Christmas oriented parent is kind of a spirit-breaker during the holidays. If it wasn’t for their children, I doubt most parents would even bother decorating for the holidays. I believe that children help adults get into the holiday spirit, and I also believe that parents need to decorate for their children. Without decorations, it doesn’t even feel like Christmas time.

No comments:

Post a Comment