Monday, December 6, 2010

Dear Josh

Dear Josh,
I love the holiday season and all the fun things that go with it. I have just one concern – annoying relatives! Every year they invade my house and drive me crazy. Now that I’m in high school, it’s even worse because my parents expect me to stay home and “spend quality time” with the relatives who come from out of town. What’s so annoying you might ask? My grandmother always comments on how big I’ve gotten and wants to pinch my cheeks and ruffle my (carefully styled) hair. My uncle is LOUD and OBNOXIOUS; he takes over the TV and yells continuously at any football game that happens to be on. Then there is my dweeby cousin who is two years younger than me…and who my mom insists must accompany me whenever I go out with my friends. AGH!
Please Help!
Annoyed by the Fam

Dear Annoyed by the Fam,
It is important to spend time with your family on holidays because they might not always be around. And as far as them being annoying, it is only one day that you need to endure this behavior. Perhaps if you plan an activity for everyone to do, it will take the stress off for a few hours. You could even set your cousin up with a movie or video game to keep him/her entertained. Just remember that you’re in high school and you will be living on your own soon enough. At that point you will miss the holidays with your family. Plan ahead and try to have fun.
Best of luck, Josh

Dear Josh,
I’m the mom of three teenagers – two boys and one girl. No matter what I buy for them for the holidays, they are not happy. Could you please suggest some gift ideas that teenagers would actually like? I’m looking to spend about $40-$80 each.
Thanks!
Bad-At-Gift-Giving

Dear Bad-At-Gift-Giving,
Unfortunately teenagers are always comparing themselves to friends and classmates. This makes it hard for a parent to know what is in style these days. Most teenagers are interested in a particular style of clothing, so ask what their favorite store is ahead of time, and you may find that on the gift-giving day they will be happy with a gift card to that store. If they are into video games, you could get them a gift card to GameStop (popular game store). If your children are known to ask to go to the mountain and go skiing. you could buy them a few days pass to the local mountain. I’m sure that the kids will enjoy you gifts so don’t stress over it enjoy the holidays.
Don’t worry, Josh

Dear Josh,
No matter how hard I try, I just can’t get everything done during the holiday season. It always happens to me: December 24th comes and I don’t have any gifts purchased, much less wrapped. I end up disappointing people on Christmas day. I have friends who bake cookies for relatives, decorate their houses, find time to hold holiday parties… What is wrong with me? Do you have any suggestions for me regarding time-management during this busy season?
Sincerely,
Always-Pressed-For-Time

Dear Always-Pressed-For-Time,
I know these times are stressful on parents trying to get every thing done in time. If you start buying presents in September through November you wont be pressed for money or time. Wrap them right after you purchase them and put them away till December. If you pencil in some time in early December or even late November you could start to decorate the house and what not. Don’t wait till the last few days and expect to get everything don’t because you could get very stressed out and it could darken you mood for the holidays without you even knowing. I hope for the best for you and I’m sure every thing will work out.
Don’t rush, Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment